One of the notorious protocols that fall under the adaptive routing protocols’ category is recognized with the name Open shortest Path First which is also denoted to the abbreviation as OSPF. This adaptive routing protocol is actually used or utilized in the networks that fall under the IP or you may say Internet Protocol’s category. An algorithm called link state routing is actually used by this protocol.
Open Shortest Path First protocol actually falls into the group of protocols that are known as interior routing protocols. This group is commonly recognized as operating under a system that is known as single autonomous system or you may say AS. RFC 2328 is used to define the version 2 of OSPF which was given to this adaptive routing protocol in year 1998 for version 4 of IP or you may say Internet Protocol i.e. IPv4.
Version 3 of Open Shortest Path First or you may say OSPF is specified in RFC 5340 for IPv6 which was given to this adaptive protocol in year 2008. This adaptive routing protocol is recognized being the mostly or commonly in use IGP or you may say interior gateway protocol in the networks that are known as large enterprise networks.
Another same adaptive routing category protocol which is recognized as IS-IS is normally utilized in the networks that are known as large networks of service provider. Border Gateway Protocol or you may say BGP is recognized being the top most used protocol in the exterior gateway protocol’s category. BGP is also considered as the main or principal routing protocol on the internet between the system known as autonomous systems.
Related Computer Tips:
- What is Internet Message Access Protocol or IMAP?
- What is PPP or Point-to-Point Protocol?
- What is RSVP or Resource Reservation Protocol?
- What is ECN or Explicit Congestion Notification?
- What is Post Office Protocol or POP?
- What is UDP or User Datagram Protocol?
- What is IPsec or Internet Protocol Security?
- Data Communication Protocol
- What is ICMP or Internet Control Message Protocol?
- What is IGMP or Internet Group Management Protocol?